Friday, May 9, 2008

Really Doesn't Work For Me...

So, I had a moment that really didn't work for me today. I wanted to see what the good folks who frequent Shannon's Rocks in My Dryer thought about it. The girls and I were shopping at- um- some outlet store. My pesky kids keep growing and growing. As a result their clothes stop fitting. Anyway, we were shopping. Whilst in the midst of the young girl's department, my not-too-long potty trained daughter said, "Mommy, I gotta go pee." I said, "OK- we'll ask someone where the potty is." No problem, right? So, we find an employee and ask if there is a little girl's room that Atlee (who's kind of hopping up and down with the need to pee) can use. This helpful employee responds, "We don't have one you can use. You can go across the street, up five stores and around the corner. It's not too far." I looked at her and said, "You've clearly never tried to get a four year to the potty on time. I guess we're all done here." I put down my selected items, walked out the store and brought Atlee to the toilet across the street, five stores down and around the corner. This did not work for me. I did not go back to purchase the items I had picked out. I was, in fact, in a snit over this. So, I wonder vast internet community- what would you have done? Does this happen to you? How does it make you feel? Am I, in fact, overreacting? Because, again, this did not work for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL - ok, I've been this person! I am famous for shopping and then walking out in grocery stores and department stores. And I am not ashamed. I'm at the grocery store and spent an hour loading up and I get to the check out and I'm taken back - there are 20 check out's there but only 4 open - Are you kidding me?!? Two managers twirling their hair, a few more chatting about when they are doing this evening. Ok, take hands off the cart and just walk away. Leave. Leave the ice cream and go. I can order pizza and be happy.

I've been known to be Atlee; needing to pee and no where to go. Why can't public places have bathrooms for shoppers to use? Now, I feel guilty when people come in and need to use my bathroom but I work right by McDonld's (ohhh...the temptation!) so they can cart over there after they spend $.15 on a copy.

Betsy said...

I'll bet there was an employee restroom, and if that employee had EVER potty trained a child, he or she would have quickly led you to said restroom without another word. I don't blame you - I wouldn't have gone back in to purchase stuff, either!

Thanks for commenting on my blog the other day! Nice to meet you (sort of... in a bloggy-kind of way!!)

Sue Wilkey said...

That makes me insane!!!! I totally understand that they don't want to a public toilet for strangers off the street - but a CHILD???????? Even if you're not already shopping there (which you WERE) a human should take pity on a child for God's sake. :(

Anonymous said...

I would drop my items and head out of that store. I have done it before and if a store is not worried about accomodating their customer's most basic of needs then I have no interest in giving them my money!

Anonymous said...

wow - here in the UK, stores generally don't have public bathrooms. The bigger supermarkets and department stores do, but clothing stores, bookstores, drugstores and electrical stores don't. Even our libraries doesn't. I've worked in retail myself, and we're not allowed to let customers use the employee bathroom (if there is one - i've worked in places that don't have them!) for insurance reasons. But generally customers don't ask, because they don't expect there to be one.

Hilary.

jen said...

I've been in those shoes, and I really don't like the way they feel. I've done both things. I've walked out and walked away - if what I was purchasing was really not that important. But I've also gone back in to pick up where I left off. If I've found good stuff for a good price, then I feel like I am the one that looses when I get all snitty about these things. Not to mention the kids who have to endure the snit...and heaven forbid, the extra shopping to replace what I had already found at that store.

I hope Atlee made it!