Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday...


Hello to one and all and a happy Wednesday to you too! So, for this week's Works for Me Wednesday, hosted by Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer, I want to tell you a tale of what didn't work for me one time. When my now 4 year old daughter was just a two month old infant, I learned a very important lesson. We lived in the Arctic Tundra known as the Adirondack Park in Upstate New York. There wasn't a lot of sun during the winter. On the first nice spring day, I decided we needed to get out into the fresh air. I put her in a long sleeve shirt and long pants. I slathered her in SPF 30. We were outside enjoying the sunshine for a couple of hours when I noticed she looked a bit pink. I brought her inside and she got pinker. By evening, she had blisters on her face. I was so confused! I had used sunscreen. What gives? Well, the lesson we learned is that SUNSCREEN EXPIRES. Did you know that? Yes? Congratulations, you've probably never burned a two month old infant until she blistered. No? Please know that sunscreen is only good for a year or so. Don't burn a baby to learn this lesson. Some sunscreens now have expiration dates on them. Otherwise, the common advice is to get a new bottle of sunscreen each year. Not burning the baby? Definitely works for me. Have a great week!

4 comments:

Heart of Wisdom said...

Oh my, what a way to learn a lesson like that. I had burned myself one time in stripes because the sunscreen was old.
I now throw it all out at the first of the year and start over. I was confused as well. Thanks for sharing and reminding me of this.

Robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

Anonymous said...

OH NO!!! I not only do a spring clean but a winter one too and that's when I toss all the old sun screen and other summery things.

Do you know if aloe works forever? I've had aloe for years and I've always wondered if it has a shelf life.

Whirled said...

Ouch! I've never burned the baby in the sun. But, when living in the artic tundra of Western New York, I once flipped the baby over while pulling him in a sled. He went face first in the snow. His little face was bright pink from snow burn for 3 days! It looked like I had slapped him...hard. I don't think I ever used that sled again.

Julie said...

I did not know that sunscreen expires. Wow! I have some really old sunscreen in the cupboard. Thanks for the advice!
Julie