Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Gettysburg Family's Great Labor Day Weekend, Including a Bad Trip to the Visitor's Center...

It was a good three day weekend around here, for the most part. Friday morning, neighbor Deb brought the kids donuts with their names in frosting. In frosting. You know it's going to be a good weekend if it starts with frosting.



But wait! There was even more excitement. Uncle Michael was coming to visit. I mentioned this to Atlee Wednesday night. For the next two days I heard a lot about how Uncle Michael would roll her into a taco when he was here. She was not disappointed.



After the rolling, there is the traditional taco toss. Greeley likes to help.


OK- So she's not really helping. But she's having fun too.

And Atlee was having a lot of fun. But the weekend couldn't be all fun, right? Because we're cruel, cruel parents we brought our herd of children to the new Gettysburg Visitor's Center.

I don't have any pictures of our visit though. It looked like a wonderful exhibit. What I saw of it, of course. Atlee dragged me by the hand, not interested in any of it. She wanted to get through it and get through it fast. She almost managed to make it through the experience. Almost. In the parking lot, there was a bit of a meltdown.
See how Shea in the foreground just watches Atlee in the background get in trouble. He knows she's not listening to Dad. He's telling her to stop, and she's not stopping. She's probably thinking something like, "What's he going to do?"

Carry her to the car. This was the low point of the weekend. It got better. It turns out our neighborhood has a Labor Day tradition. A tradition involving breakfast foods. All of the neighbors get together for a pot luck breakfast on Monday morning. Rich and neighbor John chat during breakfast.


We have a lot of neighbors.

I love our neighborhood.

The kids ate their chocolate covered donuts and headed out into the yard.

The weekend started and ended with donuts. That's a good weekend.

6 comments:

I Am Boymom said...

Uncle Michael sounds like a fun guy and that neighborhood breakfast is a great idea!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

A good weekend, indeed! The donuts were enough but the taco tossing uncle sealed the deal...

Anonymous said...

What a great tradition! You do have a great neighborhood. I've been trying to plan a "Meet your neighbors" block party here, but can't seem to pick a date that works. I'd better hurry or we'll be wearing parkas and ski pants for our cookout!

Anonymous said...

I want Labor Day Breakfast! I'm moving to PA!! Oh wait...I just tortured my husband for 2 years to build a house and we just moved in. If I was to go to him and say, "you know what would be fun? Let's move to PA!!" I'm afraid what his reaction would be. We don't have any neighbors to have a block party.

Your girls are getting cuter and cuter!! Shea is almost 5 feet tall?

And, I have to comment on Rich's hair - very nice!!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to see the "family" photo from the visitor center! I thought it was awesome how everyone's looking at the camera and Atlee's turned to the side, hiding her face. It's like a book cover! :)

Anonymous said...

Also, while I'm never eager to see myself on film, if you had used the movie function, everyone could have seen the entire taco process! (But maybe that would cause someone to call the authorities, what with the "taco toss" and all.) :)