Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Planned Parenthood.

You know what?

Kids are a lot of stinking work.

This one?


Yeah. He's damn cute, but he's also a lot of work.


Yeah, her too. Not as much, but work.

Him too. Well, not as much work as he costs a lot to keep in video games.

That one up there? She's definitely a lot of work.

But this isn't a post about how important it is to me that I got to choose to have my children and all the work that raising them entails. It's a post instead about how Planned Parenthood is important to me. It is very important to me as a thirty (ahem, -ish) year old woman with NO health insurance. While my mother has advised me that if possible I should just skip the whole cancer experience- and that is certainly my goal- access to doctors for my girl parts seems like a good thing.

And I really hope Planned Parenthood is around when my children are older- both my sons and my daughters. Even if they don't feel comfortable speaking with me about sex and contraception (which, of course, I hope they are)- I hope there is a place like Planned Parenthood for them to go for information and birth control.

And so, I ask you... have you signed yet? Have you written your senator yet?

"Did you hear? The House voted to bar Planned Parenthood from federal funding. They cut funding for HIV tests, cancer screenings, birth control, and more, putting millions of women and families at risk. It's time for you and me to stand with Planned Parenthood. Sign the open letter to the reps who voted for this bill — and to the senators who still have a chance to stop it.
http://www.IStandWithPlannedParenthood.org "


4 comments:

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Good Lord. Fabulous idea. Let's cut off the people who REALLY need the aid. I wonder what that will do for the birth rates, eh? And the need for more federal funds to CARE for all of the babies that will be born, abortions that will be botched, and STD'S that will be passed along like the flu at the movie theater?

An aside, you LIE. They are such angels and could never be as devilish as you claim. Meanie.

Monique said...

Thanks for the heads up, Susan.

It's hard to keep track of all the things that are suddenly being threatened by those claiming to be concerned with our deficits... while handing out tax breaks.

In support of women, parents, teachers, libraries, universal healthcare, soldiers, fire fighters, police, public broadcasting, enviromental protection, good roads, solid bridges, etc., etc., etc.

Wishing you lots of energy, good cheer and patience with your work!

Anti-Supermom said...

I didn't know about the vote, thank you for the information.

And glad that you are standing up for something that you believe in!

Brigitte said...

In this era my admiration for young mothers does not end. You mention the amount of work this requires. But I also know that you know that every bit of energy and every minute spent on these delightful creatures will yield enormous returns.

Congratulations on a job well done, and keep on working, Susan!