Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Alpaca...



That's right, alpacas. This week, Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer is hosting a themed Works for Me Wednesday. She's looking for ways to keep kids busy now that summer's here. My suggestion is the friendly alpaca. I took the kids to an Alpaca Farm last fall for National Alpaca Farm Days. Alpacas are the sweetest critters you ever met. These are a kid friendly animal. This trip was interesting enough that even the seven year old got out of the van- and left the Gameboy behind. Now, National Alpaca Farm Days won't happen again until the fall. But, fortunately, most alpaca raisers want you to meet these animals. If you live in Pennsylvania, you can visit this page. Nationally, you might find alpacas here. If we were still living in the mountain house, I would totally have an alpaca or two by now. Since we live in the neighborhood that won't let us have a fence, I can only visit them now. I recommend you do so too. That's one idea that'll be working for us this summer.

4 comments:

Mom2fur said...

I have this nutty dream about having a small alpaca farm when I retire. I just think they are the cutest things! Of course I a)need to have enough money to buy the farm and the animals and b)need to find someone who knows how to shear them, LOL! But they are awfully adorable!

Tooz said...

I remember my first experience with a ruminant like that alpaca--it was a more likely a llama, at a petting zoo. My brother must have been bothering it, because it proceeded to spit its cud right in his face. So very, very gross, and as his sister, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Phill said...

Jay, one of the Adk towns sort of near us (where we have friends), has not one, but THREE alpaca farms. (I always say they should make signs that say, "The Town of Jay - Alpaca Capital of the Adirondacks."

They are super cool, awesome beasts, aren't they? So sweet and gentle.

Anonymous said...

You can't tie the alpaca to a tree? Maybe you could start a circus act where Atlee rides the alpaca "bareback-a!" "Atlee the Alpaca Attacka!" (attacker) I imagine her doing all those circus like tricks: lifting herself up on one hand while the alpaca runs along... How cool would THAT be? Plus tons of fur (or whatever) for your knitting?

(I must admit, my first thought was of Napoleon Dynamite. But I guess Tina was a llama, 'cause she was a spitter, I believe.)